Go to https://ad-optimizer.metoda.com/
For the onboarding of Sponsored Display, click "Campaigns". This leads you to the campaigns section.
You can either:
- Case 1: add SD campaigns for new products manually by clicking “New campaign” or
- Case 2: import several new ASINs at once using “Import” and our onboarding template (the Excel-template can be downloaded by clicking "Import", "Download example Excel")
In both cases, you need to fill in all mandatory information
The portfolio where you want to run the campaign in.
|Campaign Name||Optional||Name of the SB campaign. The name must start with "m_". If the name is not defined by the user, Ad Optimizer will create a unique campaign name automatically. It can be ajusted afterwards. |
ASINs you want to display in the SD.
|SKU||Mandatory (seller), not necessary (vendor)||Seller only. You can input multiple SKUs by separating them with a semicolon (";")|
Target ACoS you want to achieve with your campaigns; only full percentage values are possible
|Targeting Type||Mandatory||You can choose between product targeting, category targeting, views remarketing, purchases remarketing & views_and_purchases_remarketing|
Start date of the campaign
Leave blank for unlimited campaign duration; fill in for setting an end date of the campaign
If you are creating a campaign via “IMPORT”, you only need the image asset ID. Make sure to upload the image/logo in our Image Library beforehand and use that exact ID. It is also indicated in a separate tab in the bulk importa
Max. 50 characters, the headline needs to be "appropriate" (avoid stating being "best" or "test champion"). Please refer to Amazon guidelines for more detailed information.
|Custom Image||Optional||A custom image shows your brand or products in use or context. A custom image is not a brand logo or a standalone product image and does not include a logo or text on top of the image.|
Metoda campaign category
You can set one category tag (useful for filtering in our reports, e.g "Tableware" or "Hairdryer")
Metoda campaign tags
You can set multiple product tags (useful for filtering in our report solution e.g. "New product launch", "Special offers January")
|Target harvesting||Optional||Enable or disable the automated target harvesting in Ad Optimizer. (By default enabled) |
|Negative products||Optional||Use for blacklisting in order to make sure that your ad will not be displayed on certain product detail pages. |
|Negative brands||Optional||Use for blacklisting of certain brands in category targeting campaigns. |
Additional possibility to upload important product detail pages which you would like to target with your ad.
Case 1: Generation of new campaigns using "New campaign"
Step 1: Campaign selection
Step 2: Campaign settings
- Define the start date (end date optionally)
- Select the right portfolio (use the drop-down list to select an existing portfolio or create a new portfolio via "+ New portfolio")
- Set a TACOS
- optional - Choose a metoda campaign category (the existing categories are displayed in the selection list after entering. Select one of them or create a new category)
- optional - Choose one or several metoda campaign tags
Step 3: Items to advertise
Enter the ASIN(s) of the product(s) you want to advertise
For Sellers: also enter the corresponding SKU for each ASIN.
Step 4: Targeting
Step 4.1: Product targeting
Click on "Customize" to add target ASINs
"Allow metoda target harvesting" -
Please make sure that you have added manual targets, if you deactivate "metoda target harvesting". Otherwise, the campaign will be "incomplete" and cannot be shown.
- Important note: If you disable automatic target harvesting after creation, the targets already added by the system will remain. However, no new targets will be added by our target harvesting logic.
Basically, in terms of targeting strategy, we differentiate between the following tactics:
- Defend strategy: use product targeting and defend your own ASINs with your own ASINs (e.g. for cross-selling or up-selling purposes). With this tactic, we try to protect your own product detail pages from competitors.
- Narrow attack strategy: use product targeting and attack relevant competitor products (e.g. close substitutes of your products, complementary products). With this tactic, we try to steal traffic from relevant competitor product detail pages.
- Broad attack strategy: use category targeting in order to attack all other products in the same category. This is a very broad approach but does not require as much research from your side.
It is possible to set up the same targeting type multiple times. In the case of product targeting, this could be useful for defend and attack campaigns, for example.
Step 4.2: Category targeting
Select "Category" in the drop-down
For category targeting, AdOptimizer automatically uses Amazon's suggested categories.
Click on "Customize" to add negative targets
It is possible to set brands negatively. To do this, enter the brand name and select it from the drop-down list. It is also possible to set products negative. Therefore, enter the ASINs.
Negative targets added
Step 4.3: Purchases / Views remarketing
Purchases and Views remarketing can be created individually or together in one campaign.
These are auto campaigns, so you cannot customize them.
A lookback window of 30 days is set in each case, with "advertised products" and "similar to advertised products" selected as the audience.
Step 5: Creative
Optionally, a headline, a logo and a custom image can be added. You can customize your ad individually and combine any of those options as desired. If none of these options are active, the creative will be displayed with the default settings containing a product image, title, etc. (depending on the placement)
Add a headline (max. 50 characters).
Select a logo or upload a new one.
- min. 600x100 pixel, max. 1 MB file size, PNG or JPG format
Adding a custom image is currently not possible via the API. If you want to add one, please create the campaigns without custom image first, log into Amazon Console, and edit the creative there. Here are the specs for the custom images:
- min. 1200x628 pixels, max. 5 MB file size, in PNG or JPG format, the content may not contain text, graphics or logos.
Step 6: Create
It is always possible to go back to the individual steps and change something there.
When everything is filled in, click create to create the campaign(s).
If everything has worked, the following message will appear. Then refresh the page to see the created campaigns in AdOptimizer.
If something didn't work, you can download an Excel with the error report.
IMPORTANT NOTE: setting a budget period is the necessary requirement for your campaigns to be displayed. Only if a budget period for the selected portfolio exists, will your campaigns be running.
- Set a budget: make sure to set a budget in Ad Optimizer (ideally within separated/dedicated portfolios, e.g. "m_sd"). The Ad Optimizer will take over the budget management. Setting a budget period in the respective portfolio is the necessary requirement for your campaigns to be delivering. Otherwise, the campaign does not have any budget to be spent and will be paused accordingly.
Case 2: Generation of new campaigns using "Import"
Step 1: Download the Excel template and fill in all mandatory information.
Open the "SD (image)" spreadsheet.
The Excel template has instructions on how to fill in the cells.
- TACOS: Target ACoS is 15% by default
Step 2: Save the Excel and drag it into the "Import campaigns" screen.
Download error report if it fails
In case something is not filled in properly, you will receive error messages in an Excel report, indicating in which row adjustments are necessary (Column U). Common mistakes: e.g. not all mandatory fields were filled, start date in the past, wrong formatting of the cells. Please read the instructions in the template carefully and follow the guidelines. Do not add or delete any columns or change the order of the columns!